Ribbon chart is similar like stacked column chart in Power BI with more advance functionality.
With Ribbon Chart you can see the rank & sales change difference between categories. It always shows large value in each column at the top then the next value comes after.
Let’s get started-
Download Sample dataset- Global_superstore_2016.xls
Follow these steps to create a Ribbon chart:
Step-1: Import Orders dataset from Global superstore file.
Step-2: Add Ribbon chart into Power BI report page then add some columns.
Step-3: Understand rank change in Ribbon chart, just hover the mouse gap between “Southern Asia” & “Eastern Asia”.
As you can see in above screen shot for year 2013 – Southern Asia sales is 195.85K & Eastern Asia sales for year 2013 is 154.35K, which is less then from Southern Asia sales.
So, here rank has drop by 1 number, earlier for year 2013 it was 3 and now it is 4. Rank always count from top to bottom. see below screen shot for ref.
Gap between every category presents the sales & rank change difference.
Formatting Ribbon chart-
Set font size, font family, Title name, X axis, Data labels & colors for chart visual.
Click any where on chart then go to Format Section & set below properties-
- General: Allows you to set X axis & Y axis, width & height of chart.
- Legend: Set the font size, font-family, color & position of legend on chart.
- X-Axis: Allows you to modify the appearance of the X-Axis section of this chart.
- Title: Specified the Title name for Chart.
- Data colors: Here you can change the colors used for each series in the chart.
- Data labels: Its enable the values for each category on chart & you can set the display unit, position & orientation of labels.
- Zoom Slider: It enables zoom feature on chart, using this you can easily saw the small values on chart.
- Ribbon: Allows you to set the Space, Matching series color & border for ribbon.
Refer more Power BI visuals- Power BI Visuals
Hope you enjoyed the post. Your valuable feedback, question, or comments about this post are always welcome.